Whatcha Doing?

 Has Spring sprung where you are too?

I know it hasn't for all of you, and some of you will be heading into Autumn, but this week it finally feels like Spring is here.  My magnolia is flowering, the garden is starting to grow and I've been able to sit out and crochet in the sun.  Spring is my absolute favourite time of year and I'm delighting in the warmth of the sun and enjoying the house feeling full of light again.

I was planning to post about some little pot holders that I've made lately, but that can wait for now.  Today I want to enjoy the moment, soak up the bright colours of the tulips, think about the wonderful potential of new green shoots and fresh new ideas. 

So, on the subject of potential, I thought I'd show you a couple of things I'm working on at the moment.



The first has come from nowhere.  A project born out of a whim.  I've had these vintage sheets for a little while now.  I got them from the lovely Messy Jesse's new fabric shop, Sew and Quilt.  (She's one of my lovely sponsors, so the link is in my sidebar if you fancy a look.)   I've been looking forward to cutting into these beauties and although my original plan was for a bag, all of a sudden I decided I'd make a quilt.

For some reason quilt making happens like that for me.  Although there's a least a dozen different quilts I want to make at some point, I never really plan on making one, until suddenly one day I just start.  Then, once I've started, it's pretty hard to stop.

These light, bright, floral fabrics seem just the thing to be working with at the moment.




Then there's the crochet.  Almost always, there is crochet.

At the moment, as you may know if you follow me on Instagram, I'm working on a blanket.  A blanket of many, varied and one colour blocks.  A sort of 'sampler' blanket I suppose.  You can see from my basket of colours that I've got some more muted tones this time round.  I suppose it's very 'on trend' in a way, the pastel look.  That wasn't a deliberate decision, I just choose what felt right for this blanket and this idea.  I wanted a nice old feel, but in a more faded way this time.  Apparently, a sampler style blanket made up of one colour blocks in different patterns suggest to me old, faded, lacy vintage.

The blocks are all done and I'm at the joining stage at the moment.  I'm enjoying this one, taking my time.  Trying to avoid my usual urge of getting in a frenzy to finish toward the end.  I'll have to start thinking about border ideas soon.  I'm thinking wide.  Wide and open and lacy but we'll see...

That's what I'm doing right now.  What about you?  Whatcha doing?


S x





PS - The book I'm using for my blocks is Jan Eaton's 200 Crochet Blocks, in case you were wondering!


My posts, delivered to you...

      RSS        Email      Feedly    Follow on Bloglovin Bloglovin' 

Comments

  1. Delightful Spring photos! And the blanket is looking lovely...all those vintage squares.
    I will soon start the "Clamshell project". I already chose the colours, but I am thinking of something small that I need at the moment (instead of a blanket)...Hopefully I will start this weeked :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I am literally drooling over those fab yarn colours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have sort of started loads of things all at once too, there must be a spring in our step. Jo x Nice fabrics. Jo x

    http://joeveryday19.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't tell you how gorgeous that crochet blanket is looking. Just the most gorgeous colours.


    Beautiful magnolia - such an incredible milky pink (ooh, pink milk!!!).


    Hxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything is so pretty! Hope you have a lovely weekend! xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your Spring photos - I really must get round to sharing mine. So glad I took the photos yesterday as it's rained hard today. Have a great weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very on trend indeed - isn't it funny how that happens? Everything looks so soft and fresh and pretty and spring-y. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh those vintage sheets!!! They are going to make a beautiful quilt :)
    I have a fair few projects on the go at the moment - 2 quilts, a crochet bedspread, a knitted scarf and various other sewing bits and bobs. Despite all of these projects, I somehow managed to sign myself up for my first test-knit via ravelry! Cast on some gorgeous alpaca this evening and now have the beginnings of a very pretty shawl!! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you are getting spring now. So are we and I am outside in the garden every chance I get.

    I love your choice of yarn colors for you afgan. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Sandra for the beautiful Spring post - so uplifting when it's pouring with rain outside! I'm so looking forward to seeing that gorgeous blanket make it's debut - the yarn and it's colours - well - I just love! Joy x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so happy spring is here, too! My favorite season! Beautiful pastel colors for your new blanket!! Look forward to seeing your pot holders! Happy weekend! xo heather

    ReplyDelete
  12. That crochet pin cushion is just so so so cute.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't got a magnolia in my garden but the two at school in the children's garden are in flower. Love the colours of your muted square blanket, what yarn is tat please. Rowen@Coastal Colours x

    ReplyDelete
  14. We've had Spring for about a week, and now it looks like we've gone straight back to Winter... sooo cold here!
    I can't wait to see your Sampler blanket finished! I'm working on a slightly similar blanket, in mostly muted soft colours, using the Drops square design of the "138-32 Romantic blanket". I'm on the border now, and I too wanted wanted a wide and lacy one, so I'm following Doris Chan's All Shawl edging for this blankie. I've decided to gift this one to my Spanish MIL, and we're off to Spain on Monday, so I really have get my hook in fly modus! Enjoy the lovely Spring wheather, and see you when I get back from Spain! :-) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely pictures Sandra! We are heading into Autumn here - my favourite season! Not too cold & not too hot :-)
    We spent the day at the markets as stall holders, which was an early start but rewarding none the less. Tomorrow I'm taking my Border Collie pup for some training - she's going to a friends place to learn to herd sheep. I'm quite excited! And on Monday I will be back to my knitting needles, filling custom orders and creating new products.
    Have a lovely weekend!
    Sarah x


    PS I was wondering what kind of camera you use? My little point-and-shoot is on the blink, so camera research has started. I was thinking about upgrading to a Digital SLR, but am unsure what brands are best. I've been talking to a few friends who are really into their photography. I'm assuming yours is a DSLR, or something of better quality than a point-and-shoot! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Spring has definitely arrived here...at last! So much is flowering and bursting into life, it's taken a long time to appear this year. I love your crochet squares. Is one of the patterns 'willow' from the book? I've just finished a baby blanket with this pattern and it looks great. Take care and have a lovely weekend. Chel x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love all your work and photos...I'm down in Oz, so just heading into autumn here...whipping out the knitting again and getting ready to snuggle in for the cold weather... here's what I've been doing if you want to have a peek... http://www.arabesque-scissors.com/2013/04/two-colour-brioche-cowl/

    ReplyDelete
  18. All looks amazing! Loving the crochet especially xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful photos. Your projects looks lovely, such pretty soft colours. Wendy xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yup, spring's sprung here too :) But it hasn't brought pretty quilting and crochet projects, just a realisation that I need to have a jolly good spring clean!


    You always have so many WIPs on the go ... where do you find the time, or are you a speedy stitcher?

    ReplyDelete